Reflective Searching


I see myself as a pretty accurate researcher. As, I stated in my discussion posts I am known to my circle as the lady that can find anything at anytime using a search engine. Google is the only search engine I use (yes i'm apart of the "google generation").
I found the "Information Behavior of the Researcher of the Future" a very informative read. The article reached many valid points from which I agree. According to the text, the term "google generation" is a phrase given to young age people (born after 1993) or as I like to say "millenials". Yes, I am one of those millenials that's always on their phone, checking their social media, group chatting with friends, taking selfies, etc. Yes, I use my iPhone for everything, where to eat, how to get around my city, order food, etc. In agreement with the article, our information fluency skills have deteriorated because of the abundance of accessible information. I feel like growing up during the age of technology has handicapped our minds to store information – we aren’t learning information about a topic, we are remembering it, which makes a huge difference for k-12 learners in the classroom. In my classroom I have a class set of Chromebooks and each one of my students could find almost anything on the Chromebook, whether they are struggling learners, Tier 1 ESOL learners, or gifted. Each and every student knows how to research information using a Chromebook. I had to literally give my students a lesson about how to use a dictionary because they have also defined words using technology.
 Next. I want to briefly dwell on skill gaps. According to the text one area of current interest, and, indeed, concern, is the way young people evaluate-or rather fail to evaluate- information from electronic sources. I see this much more frequently with students born after 2003. Most of their life has been involving technology so the ability to function with lack of or to decipher between quality information is minimal.For example, when completing a research assignment my students almost always go to google and click on that first Wikipedia link. I had to break down to them how that information could be false and it wouldn’t count as a credible source. They did not understand how someone could “change” the internet. They were stunned in disbelief. 
About 4 out of 26 of my students have a public library card. People used to go to the library and access books for research but due to the fact that research is so accessible I think they will eventually do away with books and it is scary thought.
Personally, being a “google generation” member I believe that my research has gotten lazier and effortless over the years. Since research is abundant, I feel the need to type in one word and for Google to give me every piece of information about a topic. I found it ironic that during the Google challenge that was not effective researching.
Based upon the information given in the articles, I would classify myself as a horizontal information seeker. I don’t know if it’s because I don’t enjoy reading (don’t judge me- I’m a math and science person) or I prefer to fully comprehend information I research or I am mentally exhausted. I do skim every piece of information and gather the main ideas and use those ideas for my learning. I also enjoy comparing different resources, I like to check consistency to always evaluate those resources.

References
Information Behaviour of The Researcher of The Future. (2008). UCL, 1-35

Comments

  1. It is very true that our lives have become dependent on technology. We have it all at our finger tips. Students do lack the knowledge in basic research skills. I literally laughed out loud at your comment about needing to teach you students how to use dictionary. This is definitely our society now and it's almost scary. I believe that it's still important to model the use of research because technology has made us lazy. Our students need to know how to effectively search and evaluate resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had to do something similar with a small group of my students involving dictionaries. They weren't sure how to use it and didn't realize you could also see how a new word is pronounced. Needless to say they were amazed and have since stopped asking me as many pronunciations and definition questions. My students are always quick to suggest I look something up on Google if it's something I'm not a 100% sure of (usually animal trivia) instead of using one of the many animal books we have. Technology has made us a bit lazy and that's why I try my best to have students use physical books for a lot of work and during centers they use it to listen to books (for fluency) and some math games (Prodigy is a favorite). They have a technology class they take so I don't feel like I'm cheating them out of new knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment