Blog Post 5

Hi,
As we are almost halfway through this semester I do feel the need to modify my goals (as usual). I will like to advance my research skills (based on the Galileo) assignment. As stated in my discussion and previous blog, the type of researcher I am is a horizontal which I don't feel is the most affective. My goal is to teach the "google generation" (including myself) how to research effectively and to utilize scholar articles and resources for not just research but to learn. I must admit that I realized with reading articles since I started my course I find myself "skimming" and "ready to get to the point" but I noticed I wasn't learning, I in fact was making myself a robot and obtaining information.

I also will like to make inquiry based learning a priority in my classroom next school year using the information obtained. If I could be completely honest, growing up I was labeled as a "gifted" and "magnet" student. I always did very well on standardized tests (in 3rd grade my school district acknowledged me for one of the highest test scored and gave me a monetary award), I absolutely LOVED learning and pushed myself to do the very best. Well in college first semester I received a "D" in theater appreciation and was devastated- how could this overachiever make a "D" in theater at that. While expanding my knowledge in this course I realized that I myself thrive in settings with inquiry based learning because I like to learn, then that makes me think about my classroom, how do my "A" students end up with "Cs" well I can admit that I don't implement inquiry learning in my classroom which may cause my  students to be less engaged and less eager to learn at times. I started evaluating my teaching a bit after taking this course.

I absolutely love being human because here's the fun part, if we're lucky- WE GET ANOTHER DAY TO IMPROVE! After viewing the video, Carol Dweck: Mindset Interview, I realized I am the student that thinks "my intelligence is something I can develop." I definitely believe in the growth mindset and that I have it which will make me a great educator and future learning facilitator. "The difference between a winning driver and a loser driver is what you do with those mistakes" hits my plan to achieve my goal.


Comments

  1. I like your mindset because you really analyzed your behaviors and thought of ways to improve. I too used to read to get to the point and if at my age I'm doing that then I can assume my students would do that and never actually learn. However, if they had a growth mindset and knew they'd need this information for some greater purpose (like an activity later on) then they'd be more inclined to read. I also agree with your inquiry based learning approach because honestly most students learn best that way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment